SWAP Kit – HELPFUL TIPS:
Intended for use with front Dana 44 axles – specifically the
1974-79 full size Jeep Cherokee, Wagoneer, & J-10 front axles. Widths vary from 60.5" - 64.5", so measure wheel mount surfaces when buying your donor axle.
THIS KIT ASSUMES AN ADVANCED LEVEL OF FABRICATION SKILL
AND AN ADVANCED LEVEL OF MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE. IF THIS PROJECT IS BEYOND YOUR
SKILL TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL.
This kit is designed to very flexible and allows a
variety of versions of the installation. Please note that Additional parts will
be needed to complete your project. This kit gets you well on your way.
A FEW BASIC POINTS:
- FRONT HANGERS SHOULD BE WELDED TO
FRAME A MINIMUM OF 43.5” FROM THE SHACKLE HANGER TO THE FIXED EYE HANGER
WILL NEED TO MOVE THE CENTERLINE OF THE AXLE AT LEAST 4-6” FORWARD OF THE FACTORY
POSITION FOR A 35” TIRE – ADJUST ACCORDINGLY
YOU WILL NEED TO FABRICATE AN ADDITION TO THE FRONT:
- FRONT SPRINGS CAN BE SET UP SHACKLES
FORWARD OR “SHACKLE REVERSE” (SHACKLES AT THE REAR OF THE SPREING)
- KIT CAN BE SET UP SPRING UNDER
(ORIGINAL FACTORY SET UP FOR AXLE) OR SPRING OVER USING SUPPLIED AXLE PERCHES.
- Differential side of housing will
require grinding for u-bolt to fit, and perch will need to be ground down to
fit on diff housing and maintain same height as tube side
SPRINGS CAN BE RUN IN EITHER DIRECTION TO ACHIEVE PROPER CASTOR
- CENTER PIN IS OFFSET
- WAGONEER DANA 44 CASTOR SHOULD BE AROUND 6*
- (WITH ANGLE FINDER ON FLAT TOP KNUCKLE – ARM SHOULD BE TILTED 6* UP)
- LEAVES CAN BE ADDED TO OR SUBTRACTED FROM PACKS TO CHANGE FIRMNESS
- A professional certified welder should perform all welding.